Sunday, April 29, 2012

A nation of dog owners

check the eyebrows on that owl in the back!


yes, this bird is wearing a helmet


If our time in the English Home Counties is an accurate reflection of the Engish in general, then they really chock-full of dog-owners.

In our first week in Blighty we stayed with the boy's lovely big sister, her husband and their cheeky 3 year old daughter. They took us out every day. On our first day after arriving at their historic Buckinghamshire home, they took us to a local country fair.

Having watched a number of episodes of Return to River Cottage on the telly, I was fully expecting to see home baking competitions, tables laden with unusually oversized vegetables, and pet farm animals. What I did see was a large number of hunting birds (pictured above - no idea what they are called, except the owl with the enormous eyebrows is called an eagle owl) and ferrets, pony and trap races, and assorted huntin' n' fishin' wares.

And dogs. There were dogs everywhere - all beautifully turned out as though headed for a show. But there wasn't one. They were just well-looked after and on an outing with their owners. We spotted one lady with a ferret on a leash, but mostly it was dogs. (But alas, I have no photo of any of the dogs!)

The boy's dad has a jack russell called Tia, and she was a super-energetic pup who is apparently prone to weeing herself when she gets a bit excited. The boy's brother also has a dog, a big'un called Daisy who liked me better than TLM for some reason (maybe because I'm a bit allergic to her).



3 comments:

Amanda said...

It sounds great- I love dogs and I wish the GAmester at Large would let me get one. Also the birds of prey fest sounds like the perfect setting for a Midsomer Murder.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very grand time. I've got to start saving my pennies to get over there - my girl graduates in two years I'd love to be at her ceremony.

Violet said...

The whole town would be a good setting for a Midsomer Murder!