Saturday, November 07, 2009

A party

What a week - it started with funeral service, ended with yet another cold and in the middle was a (in my humble standards) great Guy Fawkes party.

The party was held at a co-worker's home up in the hills overlooking the harbour. She has this amazing house whose walls are almost completely comprised of glass and it sticks out from the hill like a big glass elevator on one of those fancy high-rises. I only knew the hostess and two others, but the other guests were really easy to chat to, so I had a really nice time. It reminded me of the old days when I used to go to parties full of strangers and pretend to be tiddly just so's I'd have an excuse to brazenly break into conversations uninvited.

At 9pm, we all went out onto the deck to watch the fireworks display on the harbour. Nothing beats actually being on the harbour, craning your neck to watch the lights explode like an imitation supernova, but even from the hills it was quite spectacular.

It was also bloody freezing, and all because I was too lazy to go downstairs to retrieve my jacket.
Is it just a coincidence that I've now got a cold, or is it really possible to "catch a chill"?

5 comments:

The Terror of the Inner West said...

I"m so sad that there is no Guy Fawkes in Australia (despite the fact endless bagging out about celebrating irrelevant parts of English history). I miss the Welly fireworks show!

(donnasoowho, not raysoowho).

Violet said...

Hey I just watched Tropic Thunder (excellent movie and Tom Cruise is great in it even if he's a loony in real life) and noticed that the kid who plays the militia boss is called Brandon Soo Hoo. Any relation?

Angela said...

Sounds like a good time.
I need some time out.
Wish I had a party to go to.

Anonymous said...

Oh I couldn't get into Tropic Thunder at all.... My cousin is called Brandon - but not Soo. There is a lady who lives in the US who is actually called Donna Soo Hoo. I sent her an email once.

I don't think I"m related to Brandon Soo Hoo tho.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: well I wonder hoo is?