Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The wrong trousers

...or, skinny jeans don't make me look skinny, but wide-leg pants sure do make me look wide...

I really ought to get into the habit of trying on several styles at once, before deciding whether to buy something. If I had done that last winter I would not have ended up with a pair of wide leg black trousers that, on me, look like sturdy load-bearing columns holding up a pair of arms and a shrunken torso. If I had gone into the dressing room with those and a pair of straight-legged black jeans, I would have walked out of the shop with the relatively slimming and leg-lengthening jeans.

What this means is, if you're going to follow Trinny and Susannah's style advice then you have to go the whole hog i.e. if you want to wear the wide-leg trousers then be prepared to put a pair of high heels on your feet as well. Yay.

Anyway, today I bought the right trousers - dark, straight-legged jeans that are so soft it's almost like wearing maternity pants (which, by the way, I still have. They are awaiting a re-fashion).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh hooray for good pants! I find that the salespeople can sometime really add value in that department. Last time the Chairman went on an epic jeans-buying spree we probably tried on every pair of jeans in Melbourne (with little success) until we hit Just Jeans. The salesgirl was fabulous and directed us in the direction of jeans that would not have otherwise tried on just by looking at them - and the Chairman ended up buying 3 pairs! Unfortunately when I went back recently salespeople were decidedly lackluster.

Violet said...

It seems to me that when I get really good retail service it's because of the individual retail assistant rather than because the shop trains it's staff well. Because I've had good service at several places - but only once!

Antoinette said...

Isn't that the truth?:
skinny jeans don't make me look skinny, but wide-leg pants sure do make me look wide...

It's such hard work to find the right pants for one's shape. Awesome that you found some. And in black, nonetheless.

Violet said...

Antoinette: yep, perfect for a Goth summer...

Angela said...

I usually go off of comfort and then looks. I know what feels good, but can't tell how good it looks (because of my vision).
I always hope people are telling me the truth. That is why I usually go with friends or my husband.

Glad you found a pair that feel good nd look good.