Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I feel some grunge coming on...

After the huge success of my jeans-turned-skirt (i.e. I've been wearing it almost every day and no-one's laughed at me yet), the idea of clothing reconstruction has become very attractive. And what's not to like? It's cheap, it's eco-friendly and...well it's cheap and eco-friendly.

The only thing that could be an obstacle is that, having Googled "t-shirt reconstruction", I get the feeling that the results tend to look good only on the young. I suppose if you're into your 4th or 5th decade, you should aim to look like you can afford to buy your clothes new.

But there's gotta be a way to turning all those ill-fitting souvenir t-shirts and that itchy alpaca jumper from La Paz, into something I can be happy to wear (or sit on, if it turns into a cushion cover). I'll keep looking around - I can't be the only person under 25 who wants to re-fashion their clothing.

Otherwise I'll have to start wearing beanies.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your on your own there. I enforce a strict 'if you don't wear it for 6 months its out' policy. Except for Ray's Ralph Lauren shirt which apparently dates back to the Jurassic era or something....

Watson Woodworth said...

Beanies? Oh dear.

Heidi said...

I saw on TV how to make T's into shopping bags. I thought, since I am in my 4th decade, probably wearing a Social Distortion T is not a good idea, bag for groceries,maybe.

Angela said...

If not in public for home wear it would probably be fun.

But I am sure you look 20 right?

Violet said...

donnasoowho: Good grief, I can't throw something out after only 6 months in the naughty chair! And if it's a designer item I hang onto it even if there's zero chance of me ever fitting it. Plus, I get all sentimental...

nigel: that's right. It's time to worry.

gmcountrymama: yep, shopping bags and cushion covers - those things don't ever make your bum look big.

angela: well, maybe 30-something. But definitely not 20.

Antoinette said...

I'm not sure why it is that the majority of t-shirt refashions on the web are of the youthful, shredded variety, but I aim to change that. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday and commenting -- I will rely on your ongoing feedback to let me know if I'm staying true to refashioning for the age 30+ mindset. LOL

Violet said...

antoinette: I sure will - and just to make it harder for you, I'll be looking to see if your creations also suit those of us who aren't reed thin ;-)

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were just reminiscing on Facebook... about TIE DYED.

there's something for you!

Violet said...

donnasoowho: I might have to give that one a miss - I have enough trouble avoiding accidental clothing colour makeovers as it is!