Monday, December 22, 2008

I must be insane

"Are you insane!?" I asked my mum (in Cantonese), after she proposed that I spend the afternoon of Christmas Eve at Pak 'n Save with her. Shopping at the busiest supermarket chain in the country, during the busiest day of the year, can only lead to trolley rage, sky-high blood pressure and plans for emigration.

My mum took offense at having her mental capacity questioned.

Nevertheless, I ended up realising that I'll need to buy fresh produce for the fresh fruit salad I am making for Christmas lunch - meaning that I will end up in a supermarket on Christmas Eve anyway. But I insisted on visiting a far less crazy-busy supermarket, and at a far quieter time.

So she got her way - sort of - in the end.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 'pre christmas stock up' was fairly much to avoid the very same thing. Hence fridge explosion. Except we'll need to buy more eggs. And maybe bread. But will send the in-laws to get those. However, I went to the supermarket twice yesterday and it was suspiciously quiet - so maybe everyone had the same idea. I remember those Christmas Eve queues at the Warehouse (when I worked there over summer). And we weren't allowed to go home until we'd tidied up the shop afterwards. Which SUCKED!

No Milk Please said...

i am trying to stay out of the way of the mall this year, primarily because i hate crowds, but also because i hate shopping. this year, however, with the economy so sucky, i don't know that it's gonna be that crowded...

Violet said...

Donnasoowho: I remember The Warehouse in town had no air-conditioning, so it must've been horrific in the summer.

no milk: economy eschnonomy - people gotta eat, especially at Christmas.

Anonymous said...

One day and counting? Really you should go in the morning. Anyone that's going away for their hols has gone, those of us going to work (moi included) have to make believe that we will do work until lunchtime, then we're off to the pub. For cocktails, natch. Everyone else is panic shopping at Queensgate or North City. Which means you have a reasonably good window of between 7.00am and 12noon to avoid a crowd at Pak 'n' Save. Which wasn't busy at all tonight (Petone).
Rots of ruck...!

Amanda said...

Well...good luck. My worst Xmas shopping experience ever was in the Poirirua Warehouse on Boxing Day or possibly New Years sales. I queued for hours with a grumpy baby to buy some slightly discounted cheap plastic crap that I'm sure I didn't need that badly. Note to self: never make that mistake again.

I'm actually hoping to make a trip to Mitre 10 this afternoon to price flooring though which may be equally a bad move

Violet said...

desiree: while it wasn't nervous breakdown-bad this morning, stuffing around in unmoving traffic in "sleepy" Kilbirnie was maddening enough. But it's all over now...aah...

mntw: good luck with the afternoon!