Thursday, August 07, 2008

The second embarrassing thing in two days.

When I say "useless female", of course I dont mean that I think females are useless. What I mean is that there are times when one does something which fits the stereotype. Like not being able to differentiate between car models, or having no sense of direction. Although in these two examples, "useless" is a bit harsh.

I was a "useless female" this afternoon, when TLM and I went to collect our car from the panelbeaters'. I'd hoped like hell that the men who worked on it, would leave the child carseat exactly as they found it. Because I don't know how to properly install the darn thing.

So I was really annoyed to find they'd unfastened TLM's car seat. The guys were apparently very busy - too busy to give us a ride from the bus stop to their workshop - so I called the boy and asked him to finish work early and drive all the way across town to reinstall the car seat for us.

That's what I call useless.
While I waited, I fiddled around with the straps and almost got it right. Then two of the panelbeaters came over, voiced a disclaimer about not having kids and therefore not knowing how to install carseats, and fixed it in about 5 minutes.

So there you go - proof that intelligence exists in many forms.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I'm wondering why (given that didn't you dent the bumper?) they had to take the car seat out at all.. presumably it's nowhere near the bumper. And also, if they took it out maybe they'd have noticed how it works to put it back in again?

Guess all's well that ends well.

Ian Newbold said...

Car seats are a swine. I have a glut of girl-friends that can't or won't fit car seats. Trips now start and end with me fitting various devices into various makes and models of car.

Violet said...

donnasoowho: I dunno, but every time I take the car in for a service a WOF or anything else, they always uninstall the goddamn childseat!

single parent dad: Thank you! Now I know it's not just me.

Angela said...

No I don't understand either why they would take it out.

Glad you eventually got out of there