Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Bottom chef

Top Chef is one of only two reality tv shows that I love (the other being Project Runway). There's no way I would want to be a top chef. But it would be nice to be able to whip up a nice meal or munchable batch of cupcakes now and then.

Lately I've been doing the baking thing with TLM, and I know she just loves to stand on a chair and break eggs or stir muffin batter until it's all over the floor. Unfortunately, we haven't managed to produce many items that she will actually eat - the pikelets were a bland, shapeless mess; the bran and banana muffins turned out fine, but TLM won't eat them (not enough chocolate chips, I'm guessing); and the cheese muffins were a hit only until the third bite.

The only things we've made - with or without TLM's assistance - which I'd call a success, have been 1) gingerbread and 2) muesli bars. At the very least, this means she won't have to live off raisins and crackers at daycare.

There are only two reasons I persist in this wannabe-Nigella thing. One is the idea that homemade versions are more healthy than the factory-made ones. The other is that it's messy fun with potential for yumminess.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Gregory also likes to cook.
My plan is to teach him so I don't have to.
Maybe you can do the same with TLM

Violet said...

That'd be nice, but she'll need a teacher who can actually cook!