Monday, March 31, 2008

Practical dreams

I used to frequently dream that all my teeth had crumbled away. Then I read somewhere that it symbolises a fear of my life getting out of my control. It seemed believable because I am an occasional control freak. Then I found at this site that it might mean I was anxious about my physical appearance (which means about 80% of adult woman probably have this dream), or worshipping the wrong deity.

The boy asserts, however, that all it means is that I was worried about being overdue for a dental check-up. And he's not joking either.

Another dream I've had in the past is one in which I am immobilised and there is a strange man in the room or in my bed. It was pretty damned freaky, almost as scary as the dream in which I was being suffocated (and I was - by my sleep apnoea). The same website says that dreaming of being paralysed means I feel my life is not in my control (snap!).

Or maybe I was simply a victim of alien abduction that night.

I do know for certain that, if I dream about having a wee, then it's pretty certain I need to get out of bed and go to the toilet.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Yes I get up and run to the bathroom if I start dreaming of p
I too need to go to the dentist, but never quite had a dream like that.
Unfortunately no strange men have come and visited me in my dreams lately
Hope you have sweet dreams tonight

Amanda said...

I have that teeth crumbling dream often. I also quite often dream that my teeth are hurting and I have to loosen or shift around my headgear- which I had to sleep in for years as part of the really brutal orthodontics I had as a teenager. I don't think that means much but that it was really freakin' painful and my body remembers- maybe because I have ground down on my teeth in the night.

I haven't been to the dentist for a long time either. It still makes me laugh to remember the time one suggested that I needed to perfect my bite my wearing braces again. Never, never, never.

Violet said...

angela: nothing unfortunate about it, angela. It's awful.

mtnw: I never had my teeth straightened - it sounds like torture - but I also hate my smile.

Watson Woodworth said...

I wonder what it says about spiders.
I'm a total aracniphobe.

No Milk Please said...

my interpretation of the teeth dream is that i am afraid of getting old. i have these nightmares often enough so it's weird. i keep wondering, if i brush my teeth everyday, why am i still getting these dreams....

Violet said...

nigel: Well that depends. When you're dreaming about these spiders, are you also naked or running horrendously late?

no milk: well if you check out the site, you'll see that anxiety about your appearance is certainly one interpretation. On the other hand, when you brush your teeth, do your gums bleed all over the bathroom sink?

Watson Woodworth said...

The spiders are naked.

Violet said...

nigel: but of course they are ;-)