Friday, February 01, 2008

Relax

When I asked TLM the other day whether she wanted to wear knickers or disposable pull-ups, she said "pull-ups". And I can't blame her, really. In the latter, she can pretty much do what she likes without me getting upset about getting wees on the sofa or poos on my foot (that's another story). The pull-ups are so efficient at holding everything in, that I can relax too. And if I'm relaxed, she's relaxed.

But I don't want to put her in pull-ups all the time - they're relatively expensive and are probably not helping TLM to toilet-train. On the other hand, if I put her in knickers, I end up following her around all afternoon with a towel, anxiously peering at the area around her bum (we have carpet and our sofas are upholstered in fabric).

So today I went and bought some Bright Bots training pants. They're washable (hence, eco-friendly), inexpensive, and should keep small amounts of wees in while at the same time allow her to feel what it's like to have wet pants. Hopefully, in these, she can learn without being confined to playing in the skin-cancerous outdoors, and I don't have to follow her around with a double layer of protective cloth.

I guess this might be one reason that camping is a good holiday option for small children.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I don't think that potty training will work with my son if we use pull ups either.
Good luck with this choice.
Let me know how it works

Violet said...

They worked really well this afternoon - but not in the way I'd expect. I'll leave it for another post...

Zephra said...

My experience with having trained about 6 kids is that they are all different. I do find that pull ups are such a security blanket for most kids, that they are treated like diapers and they just pee and poo away.

The last few kids I just do the naked around the house thing and put the potty chair in the living room. But I do say that in the beginning, before they really understand what we are trying to get them to do, and before we are sure they can do it, use the pull ups.

I have yet to see an 18 year old walking around wearing a diaper.

Violet said...

zephra: I totally agree with you on the safety net thing of pull-ups. More later...