Thursday, February 21, 2008

Chinese kids' stories

My sister-out-law sent me a link about writing for the New Zealand School Journal. Apparently they are on the look-out for kid's stories set in New Zealand's Chinese community. So I've been thinking about whether I have any stories to tell and sell. Of course, they'd be based on my own experiences, but told from a child's point of view.

So far I've come up with these possible titles:

  • The day I nearly died of boredom at the supermarket with Poh-Poh
  • The cute girl gets the most lucky money at Chinese New Year (based on TLM)
  • Nudey-Rudey at Poh-Poh's place (or, how to horrify your grandmother by undressing in front of her)
  • Rice goes with everything
  • The boy who loved his mum so much he ate EVERYTHING! (this would be a warm-fuzzy story)
  • Mother knows best. Or else.
  • It's not what you do, it's how much money you make
  • My new puppy and how we cooked it

    Do you think I should get me an agent?
  • 11 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    "The boy who loved his mum so much he ate EVERYTHING! " - hmmmmm, and these stories had to be based in fact or fiction?

    x
    E.

    Zephra said...

    lmao those are great. I especially like "Rice goes with Everything" and "My new Puppy" though I admit that last one disturbs me a little...

    No Milk Please said...

    i love 'rice goes with everything' because it's TRUE! i can eat rice with anything, i have eaten plain rice with fried rice. that's how much i love it!!!

    Angela said...

    Um... I would like to read some of these but first I must make sure no one ate my dog

    Violet said...

    Hee hee...obviously you could tell I was just being silly. On the other hand, perhaps "Rice goes with everything" might well have potential after all. Hmmm...

    Anonymous said...

    With titles like those you don't need an agent at all. However, you should at least let one of your peers (i.e. me) read them before you publish to ensure their authenticity [hee, hee!].

    Unknown said...

    Um, actually, there is already an "I eat rice" title featuring a Chinese boy...

    Violet said...

    desiree: yeah but you'd just question that whole "drink tea from your rice bowl" idea.

    editter: what!? No feckin' way! And does the kid eat rice with his hamburger too?

    Anonymous said...

    I beg to differ - I have in fact drunk tea from my rice bowl a few times but admittedly not at home!

    Violet said...

    desiree: yeah, well that was probably since you met me, right? ;-)

    glomgold said...

    The "lucky money" one and the "cooked puppy" have promise ;)