Saturday, March 03, 2007

Re-work

Yesterday it all ended. My contract finished, my replacement (temporary until they find a full-timer) is all set to take over and my nanny has said goodbye (although she came back a few hours later to return the spare house key).

This means that from now, if TLM sleeps in, I don't have to get up at 6.30am anyway to get ready for work. It means that if I want, I can attend Tuesday morning Yoga Babes classes (those are the classes where you can take your little one to class with you).

It also means that, apart from two mornings per week at her childcare, I am once again solely responsible for TLM's education and entertainment.

It's not that playing with TLM isn't fun, fascinating and often quite wondrous, but I'm thinking about getting another job.

Admittedly, there are probably very few jobs out there which are both interesting and require only 7-8 hours of attendance per week. So I'm thinking of perhaps re-training as a technical writer or something similar. My written communication skills are fairly good, but I'd need to learn lots more about web-editing software, MS Word and so on. And of course, I'd have to start showing more interest in software in general, because that's what I'd be expected to write about.

I'd really rather not end up stacking supermarket shelves or shelving library books though.

6 comments:

Michael C said...

If you find a good 7-8 hour job, let me know. I am willing to relocate ;-)

Watson Woodworth said...

Have you thought about editting?
Me Gran was a poet and manuscript edittor back in the day.
But sadly, good spelling & grammar isn't heriditary.

Violet said...

michael c: wait - I didn't mean a 7-8 hr/week job that pays a 37.5hrs/week salary!

nigel patel: were those spelling mistakes of yours cleverly intentional? Anyway, yes I have but I don't know if I'd be considered for such work when there are so many ex-journalists and English Lit. graduates to compete with.

Watson Woodworth said...

Sadly, some yes, some no.

Angela said...

Good luck on the job search

Violet said...

nigel: Thank goodness for spellcheck then!

angela: thanks!