Friday, January 12, 2007

Not Nigella

I cooked dinner over the last couple of evenings - individual shepherd's pies (with pastry and everything! Though it was shop-bought...) on Wednesday and minute steaks with salad last night. Both dishes were really very simple (I wouldn't have bothered otherwise), and yet today the thought of making all that effort again...well it was like how I used to feel every Sunday night knowing that tomorrow I would have to go to work and pretend to care about it.

So after the boy had put The Little Madam to bed, I sprawled on the sofa like a heat-exhausted, prospect-less dole-bludger, and asked if we could just not have dinner tonight 'cos I couldn't be bothered.

Does anyone else get tired at the thought of organising and cooking dinner every night (though, to be honest, it's more accurately 3-4 nights per week), or am I just a total sloven?

9 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Errrr.... every single night....

Does that make me a sloven?

Violet said...

No of course not, ms mac. Because you have wonderful chefs in your family, who can take over and whip up delicious meals when you want or need a break...

glomgold said...

To do so every night sounds incredibly tiresome. 2-3 nights a week would probably be my limit.
What's a dole-bludger?
I might be able to manage 5 nights a week if Nigella Lawson were around to help & inspire me.

Angela said...

I enjoy cooking maybe once a month. The other 29 days I wish I didn’t have to do it. Heating up leftovers is a pain too. I think I am just lazy. I wish I had a personal cook. That is why my hubby does most of the cooking. He enjoys doing it most of the time, but he gets tired too. Those days I do the cooking.

Amanda said...

I get very tired of cooking. We eat left overs and convenience meals (eg pasta and pesto) a lot.

Anonymous said...

I could have written Angela's post. My partner does most of the cooking, although I do most of the organising. Every so often I'll have a mad passion to cook a particular thing, but that's it. I usually clean up the kitchen - it's a fair swap, and good for my post-dinner blood sugar levels, and my tolerance of messy kitchens is lower than his.

BTW, proper shepherd's pies do not have pastry :) where on earth did you find yours?

Violet said...

glomgold: a dole-bludger is a person who lives off the unemployment benefit and doesn't bother trying to find a job. There aren't so many nowadays, but the term survives...

angela and cathi: the boy used to do most of the cooking, until I became a SAHM. Now he does it maybe once a week. But in all cases, I'm the once who does most of the cleaning up. Cathi, I found the recipe in that small healthy food magazine you see in the supermarkets. Basically, it's shepherd's pie divided into muffin pans, with a circle of puff pastry underneath. You're supposed to use the low-fat pastry of course.

mtnw: I would do pasta most nights too, but the boy doesn't seem to like having it more than about once a month, and then prefers those restaurant-prepared beef lasagnes anyway.

The Skirt said...

I feel your pain. 3-4 nights a week is loads of cooking, especially if it's not a one-pot meal!

And please, no apologies for the bought pastry. Who has time to do that kind of stuff anyhow?

Violet said...

If only the boy would be content with rice'n'stir-fry every night. That's just about all my brother and I had every night and it never did us any harm.