Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cute corpse

We watched The Corpse Bride the other night, and it was well worth the wait (the wait for the DVD to become available for weekly rental, that is). The boy, of course, accused me of selecting a movie based on Johnny Depp's involvement. That didn't stop him from watching it with me though (nor does it stop him from watching Pirates of the Caribbean multiple times).

It's a great little story, told in excellent stop-motion animation. The music (it's a musical, by the way) is groovy and the walking, singing skeletons are more whimsical than scary. Think Mexico's Day of the Dead.

And it's chockful of the voices of acting greats, too - apart from our Johnny, The Corpse Bride stars Helena Bonhom Carter, Emily Watson, Christopher Lee and Albert Finney. Jane Horrocks (Absolutely Fabulous and Little Voice) is in it too, but she wasn't mentioned in the DVD extras so I'm assuming her performance is a musical-chorus one (she does amazing imitations of the likes of Shirley Bassey in Little Voice).

It looks great, sounds great and leaves you with a nice warm fuzzy.

10 comments:

Geekery said...

Cool movie - wasn;t expecting it to be a bit of a musical tho!

LK said...

I'm pleased you wrote this as I too am on a waiting list to hire this one. Now I can't wait.

Violet said...

It's well worth it. I've no idea whether Johnny Depp actually sings - he could have a voice double! - but his animated character play the piano beautifully.

Watson Woodworth said...

Have you ever seen The Nightmare Before Christmas? I think this is sort of a follow up.
I loved that movie so I think I'll like this one also.

Anonymous said...

Sounds worth watching. Perhaps I shall.
I always thought it was about a woman who got married and had headaches every night..

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nigel - Nightmare Before Christmas was great! Haven't seen this one - waiting for it to come out on special before I buy it.

Ali-Belly said...

I'm SO glad you said "warm and fuzzy" - am I a bad mother for letting the Smallest watch it? She adores it... but we know what a weirdie she is. :)

Violet said...

nigel and desiree: Nightmare was the film that introduced me to the genius of Time Burton. I loved it.

happy and blue 2: geez, do you use that to warn your wife? ;-)

wicked: I think your little mermaid would have really enjoyed it. Did she?

Ali-Belly said...

She soooooo did. She's such a weirdie, but cute with it, so I'll let it slide.

Rainypete said...

There can never be enough Tim Burton. I can't wait to see this one.