Friday, August 19, 2005

First outings

Yesterday I realised I was going to have to obtain some new bras and nursing tops. We'll be getting visitors from now on, and if Baby happens to get the munchies while they're here I'm not sure that I want them to see more of my torso and boobies than strictly necessary.

So during that brief period in the afternoon when Baby was fed and the boy was able to spare an hour to play with her, I drove into town to get myself some nursing bras. (Don't tell my mum though, because as far as she's concerned I'm supposed to be housebound for four weeks.) Less than an hour after I left home, I'd returned with two DD cup bras. I'm now nicely supported, but - my, how I've grown!

Baby had her first outing too, today. I decided to take advantage of the boy's last day off before going back to work on Monday, so we went out to buy a baby buggy with the money which my mum had generously gifted us. It was only a five minute drive to the baby gear shop, but we still had to get Baby all warmly dressed and the baby bag packed - just in case. While the shop assistant cooed over Baby, we picked a fine MacLaren all-terrain three-wheeler jogger, which folds down nice and compact and comes with a fleecy sleeping bag. The boy was so excited that as soon as we got home with it he insisted on unpacking it and going for a test run (up and down the hallway) with Baby strapped up in it. We can't wait to take her out for a walk tomorrow (but again, don't tell my mum or she'll have a fit).

Oh yeah, and I also bought some horribly expensive but effective nursing tops so my visitors don't get too much of an eyeful.

7 comments:

flying kiwi said...

Ooh I wish I could visit (and not just so I can get an eyeful of your double Ds). In the meantime I'm really going to make an effort to get to the post office tomorrow and send Jonquil's gift. Maybe. Don't hold your breath.

glomgold said...

All-terrain 3 wheeled vehicle! The baby sounds like she'll be very active.

Tara said...

Violet, congratulations! She’s rather cute (we all know some newborns just aren’t).

When does she get a name? ‘Baby’ does work though, very Dirty Dancing of you.

Watson Woodworth said...

I once had a bad nursing experience.
A bunch of us were at a home, having a gathering, when sudenly, there's breast feeding off to the right. I was never in my life so aware of this woman's husband (across the room).
I just concentrated on talking to someone (anyone) to my left.

Jon said...

Ok, I've ratted you out to your mother, and trust me, she's MAD! ;)

Violet said...

flying kiwi: You want an eyeful of my boobies? Hmm…that’s a little suspect…

eb: yes it does; it's got everything. Come over and I can pick your parenting brains.

glomgold: she'll be mostly laid out flat and sleeping; I'm the one hoping to be very active...

tara: Well there's always the option of calling her Jonquil (as her blog non-de-plume), but Baby is easier to spell.

nigel: And that's exactly the sort of thing I want to avoid. Many of my friends are single males and I think it might just be too awkward.

jon:is this in revenge for my not naming my daughter Jon?

Unknown said...

of course she's named after Jon, being Jonquil!

Ooh yay, I can come visit soon and this time your boobs will be bigger than your belly! (not that I'll be there to check out your boobies either...)