Monday, July 04, 2005

Weekend roundup

For starters, the boy turned down an invite to watch the second Lions vs All Blacks match on Sky, at a friend's house. The official excuse was that he had work stuff to do, but between you and me - it was because he couldn't face sitting through another thrashing of the Lions by the All Blacks. So keen was he to distract himself from the possibility of another defeat, that he devoted the whole of Saturday evening to playing one of his online computer games (don't ask me which game it was - they're all the same to me; one in which mythical creatures with magic powers try to kill each other).

My brother, who has just bought a seven-seater people-carrier (I'm sure there's a name for this model of vehicle, but I don't know what it is and I don't care), offered to be my mother's tax driver on Sunday, leaving the boy and I free to go out for lunch and shop for more baby stuff. We lunched at one of those child-friendly cafes, which is probably not the best choice for a couple who're anticipating an end to child-free weekends for a long time to come. But the food is always nice, it's open on Sundays, and it's right opposite a big shop which sells both baby gear and alcohol - rather a bonus in the boy's book.

The results of our little shopping trip? We got one of those nappy disposers - a big white bin which magically wraps up used nappies and seals in the odour so that the parents don't have to race to the outside rubbish bin with each and every nappy change. I did read somewhere that they aren't quite as effective once baby starts eating solids (because the resulting poos are sufficiently smelly to overpower the bin magic), but he's been told by another dad that they're a lifesaver.

We also bought a big foam jigsaw puzzle which comes together to form a giant sea life play mat and a smaller fabric play-thing, both to stick on the nursery walls. These, along with the paintings I intend to do, should add a little warmth and cheer to the room.

The weekend's grand finale, after unsuccessfully trying to finish one huge Beef Wellington each for dinner, was watching the last of the Carnivale season one episodes and the beginning of the next.

9 comments:

darth said...

that nappy dispenser is awesome...total life saver..well, nose saver, anyways :P

Amanda said...

Your boy was playing world of warcraft with mine. And now I am commenting on your blog. Oh the wonderful social possibilities of the intarweb!!

Geekery said...

Quite a few people seem to have enjoyed Carnivale, it was on too late for me to watch, and am still waiting for my copy of the DVD to arrive, so do tell us what it's like, am I in fro a real treat? c'mon, give us a review!

The Skirt said...

Ahhh, the mythical "diaper genie"! They sound really great.

Speaking of things baby, I finished the knitting for you before I came down with the lurgy.

Do you want to email me an address to send them to?

s i n g l e s k i r t e d l y @ g m a i l . c o m

Violet said...

mtnw:and it's even better when I know you aren't an axe-wielding wierdo because I've already met you in person...

onscreen: Carnivale is kind of American Gothic - it's dark and although there's a fight btwn good and evil it's not immediately clear whose playing for which side. So far season one has been really good - I think you'll like it.

the skirt: gosh, I didn't know for sure that you really were knitting me something. It's very kind of you, considering for all you know I could in fact be a frustrated elderly male novelist who's made all this up! Thank you!

The Skirt said...

Yeh, but I didn't think you'd done a bizgirl - plus from what I can gather from the comments, your pregnancy anecdotes are definitely real!

It isn't blue & orange or purple - couldn't find cotton in those colours (or any colour other than pastels!) until just after I'd finished. Instead I used a variegated cotton - ah, you'll see when you get it!

Violet said...

That's okay, I'm sure it'll be ultra-cute, especially since it's obviously been made with love.

glomgold said...

"the resulting poos are sufficiently smelly". Ech.
That online computer game sounds good though! And that Plunket thing seems like a good idea; should be required stuff around here.

Violet said...

Glomgold: I'm sure you'll love the online computer game - apparently it's really popular. In my opinion Plunket wouldn't stand a chance in the US, because the environment is much more suited to profit-making. It may even require financial help from tax-payers, which wouldn't be popular amongst US voters.