Friday, July 01, 2005

The Big Test

The streets are awash with Brits in red sweatshirts, so you might mistakenly think the title of this post refers to the absolutely huge Lions vs All Blacks rugby test match which is scheduled for tomorrow night.

Nope.

Tonight is the night of the opera. I'll get to find out whether I made a wise choice in booking two seats to Don Giovanni knowing full well that I would be almost nine months pregnant by the date of the show. I'll find out whether approximately three hours of sitting (albeit with short intervals between acts) proves to be too much for my squashed up lungs, my soreness-prone bottom and the slight possibility of an early labour.

Actually, I'm much more worried about the lungs and the bum than I am about the prospect of my waters breaking in the middle of a solo - probably because I already have a sore bum from the two-hour meeting this afternoon at work, and my lungs feel squashed up quite regularly.

Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Jon said...

I hope you can get a refund on the tickets, it's not a good idea to go THAT close to when you're due!

And what is the All BLack rugby team? Are the team members all black?

Onanymous said...

Good luck!
I hope you enjoy the show.

Jon: Very funny.

Jon said...

But I wasn't trying to be funny- I really don't know why it's called that!

Unknown said...

Jon - they wear all black...

I went to Don Giovanni last Sat night and I found it hard to sit through... it was very long and almost full and you couldn't really get up between acts. Hope you coped, Violet!!!

Watson Woodworth said...

Jon: Just like Robert Smith.
I hope the performance will make up for the lung and bum discomfort. But you can tell the bambino/bambina that you took him/her to the opera as an early birthday present.

Violet said...

I'll tell you about the show in the next post. Being a New Yorker is a pretty fair excuse for not knowing what an All Black team is - first you need to know what rugby is, then it'll make sense that the All Blacks are NZ's national rugby team.

Amanda said...

I went to a Breeders concert while I was pregnant which I thought was sort of funny...

Violet said...

Mtnw: yes, it is funny. I hope you were sitting down, at least.