Monday, June 27, 2005

waiting

On this chilly but gorgeously sunny day, I'm waiting for the burly furniture delivery men to bring me the fab new recliner chair in chocolate leather, which the boy bought for me on Saturday. It's going in the nursery so that I can breastfeed in there, right next to the cot. I would've been content with something modest, like a simple upright chair with arm rests, but the boy wants me to have the option of sleeping in it if I'm really tired. Of course, the idea did dawn on me that perhaps this was a hint that he would rather I slept in the chair than disturb his sleep by getting in and out of bed all night - but he's denying it.

Also to be delivered is a bedside table, to be placed next to the boy's side of the bed. Until now, the side of the dresser has served as home for the alarm clock, the box of tissues, the books and the asthma inhaler. Getting the boy to leave his headphones and CDs there however, has been an impossible task. So buying the bedside table is really a concession to me, since he's promised he's going to actually use it to put all his junk on.

After the burly delivery men have been and gone (they said they'll be twenty minutes), I'll be waiting for the washing machine to finish with the laundry. For some reason, it's always too wet or too cold to do the laundry in the weekend, and I always end up doing it on Mondays when the boy isn't around to help me lug it up the steps to the washing line.

And the next task will be to take my mother out to the supermarket. She sets the almost-stationary pace, so it too is a kind of waiting.

Five weeks to go before all hell breaks loose.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my lovely recliner chair, I hope we can fit that into George's lounge... I've never slept on it, seeing as it's right next to my bed at my house. I'm sure yours will come in handy for dozing in, if not actually hours of sleeping.

flying kiwi said...

So were the deliver men as burly as expected? Did you take photos?

Happy and Blue 2 said...

Hope the chair isn't too comfortable. You don't want to be falling asleep while breast feeding. The kid will be huge when you wake up..

Unknown said...

a bell might wake the baby up, maybe you should put your computer next to your recliner chair and IM the boy when you need something! I just heard on the weekend of a flat with wireless where they IM from the kitchen when dinner is ready...

Jon said...

Did they bang up the walls? It's always irritating when delivery people do that

Violet said...

editter:once the boy's unpacked the chair and re-arranged the room, I'll put the new heater through a trial run and test out the chair for somniability.

flying kiwi: they were fairly burly actually - and also young and tanned, but no, I didn't take photos...

eb: I didn't think a reading light would be a good idea, not at night anyway. But the bell for service sounds interesting. Or I could just shout...

happyandblue2: that wouldn't happend, because I'd have to wake up for the nappy changes!

jon: I don't think they banged up the walls. Though the walls are a bit banged up anyway, from previous furniture moving...

Jon said...

furniture moving, rough sex, call it what you will ^_^

Violet said...

jon: your mind's in the gutter - I'm sure it's because you've been getting some lately ;-)

Amanda said...

Do you have a dryer? One of my most vivid memories of the first few months post child birth is having to constantly do huge amounts washing.

Violet said...

mtnw: yes I do, and for the life of me I can't figure out why half the baby gear we bought says 'no tumble dry'. Everything the baby uses ought to be tumble dryable.