Sunday, June 05, 2005

my back, my back.

It's not just walking extremely slowly with my mother around the supermarket that makes my lower back feel like I've been trying too hard with the yoga back-bends; it's also when she takes off to the supermarket restroom, leaving me to stand around for twenty minutes minding her trolley.

I've found another way to get a really tired, sore lower back - too much tidying in the nursery-to-be. By tidying, I mean: going through my filing cabinet and chucking out old bank statements by the ton; shifting everything out of the glass cabinet and packing it all away into the kitchen cupboard, having first cleared out said cupboard (although finding a bottle of wine, a bottle of coffee liqueur and several beautiful mugs and glasses I forgot I had, was a definite plus); and sorting through boxes of old travel memorabilia to make sure nothing gets thrown away that I want to keep.

It's because all those boxes, cabinets and cupboards are low, which means I have to bend, bend, bend. It's one of the curses of being short, really; I can't put stuff in high places because I can't reach, but if everything is stored on the floor then I have to keep bending over to get at it.

So today has been a bit of a pain, literally. By mid-afternoon I was walking like an old lady with a groin injury.

It's been a couple of weeks since I last had time to get to the gym, but at this rate I'm not exactly going to be in any condition to do anything but sit on my bum and supervise the boy while he takes over the housework.

5 comments:

Jon said...

Take it easy. Make the man do all the work, after all, that's why they're here

Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sheesh. What is it with women and doing to much. Take it easy..

Violet said...

It would be nice if the boy could do it all, but not only does he have less spare time than me - he also has a much lower tidying threshold.

glomgold said...

Is it for pregnant women to use a sauna or hottub at the gym? I'm curious, if you happen to know.

Violet said...

glomgold: I'm not sure about later on in pregnancy, but it's definitely not a good idea in the first half - in fact, not only did I have to watch my body temperature, I also had to make sure that my heart rate didn't go over 140 beats/min during exercise.