Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Why it's no good comparing yourself with other people

The Information Management department at university hosted one of it's end-of-trimester pizza lunches today (that means free food and drink), and for the first time since I've been a student there I could actually attend.

One of my fellow students is knocked up too, and due about week after me. I was rather jealous to discover that she's maintained her slim figure, in contrast to the sudden explosion in my own physical size. She hasn't got an increased girth like I do, but our bumps are about the same size.

Afterwards I met up with one of my old work-mates from my IT days (it's turning out to be a sociable week for me); she confided that she and her hubby have been trying to conceive for around eight months now. Far from feeling better about myself though (it tooks us five months), this news only made me feel concerned for her.

So there you have it - people who seem better off than me make me feel worse, and so to people who seem worse off.

There's just no pleasing me.

2 comments:

Frally said...

Sounds like the pregnancy hormones are getting the better of you - unless you were the sort of person to feel guilty all the time anyway.

Violet said...

Yep, I'm a guilt-ridden worrier.