Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hello, I live in an oven

As though to punish us all for complaining about the crappy weather all the way through December (and most of January), lately it's been so hot I don't even want to go outside. But I usually do anyway on the days I'm at work, because the office isn't air-conditioned and we have to make do with a single fan which my manager brought in from home and a few windows which can be opened a few inches each. What makes it harder to put up with is knowing that I mustn't let my body temperature get high for long or I will "cook the baby" (those are the exact words spoken by the gym instructor who gave me a preggy programme).

I suffered a bit on the walk home too, because I had neglected to bring my hemp sunhat - the sunhat which makes the boy look like a dopehead (handsome though he is) and which squishes very conveniently into my small bag.

I must stop complaining. No doubt it will bring on a severe cold snap which breaks all records for the last fifty years or something. I'll go swimming - just as soon as I get myself a swimsuit which fits my expanded body and yet still makes me look like a movie star (yeah, right).

Or maybe I'll go get some ice cream.

8 comments:

Violet said...

Is it?

Frally said...

Ah, the people of New Zealand, we just can't win. It's either too freakin' cold or too flippin' hot. And now you're pregnant, it's not like you can get drunk anymore to ease the suffering. You poor, poor dear.

Anonymous said...

Well just wait for it, you might be getting something cooler from across the sea, here in Canberra this morning when I went to work in 6 degrees and rain, it warmed up to 13 degrees by the end of work! Yeah! and an overnight low of 9 degrees is expected. Gottta love Canberra, it was 30 degrees on Tuesday.

Jon said...

No AC in the office? In the summer? When you're with child???? Yikes! Drink lots of water don't overexert yourself!

Amanda said...

Oh poor Violet...luckily I missed being pregnant in summer but you've got your own little built in heater in this horrible heat. One consolation is that you will be quite toasty in winter

Violet said...

Kristin: I've been following your own progress pretty closely, especially the bits where you reveal that you still have hip bones (I would too, but I couldn't see 'em even before I got pregnant).

Make Tea: Yes, it definitely would have been more convenient to be a super-heated person in the winter (esp. with the lack of central heating in the house). The wee one also misses out on being a Libra too.

Jon: this is New Zealand, where folks are too staunch to install central heating for winter comfort, or air conditioning for summer comfort. We're just so hard.

Violet said...

Frally: It could be worse. I could be living under the Taliban's dress code for women.

Violet said...

And if you're living in Canberra with temperature changes like that, surely it's a good reason to move to the coast?