Monday, February 14, 2005

From the sea

Here's a name which both the boy and I liked: Morgan.

It's Welsh, which is good because the boy has Welsh origins.
It's suitable for either sex (though according to one website, it's a girl's name and according to another, it's a boy's name.
Morgan means "bright dweller from the sea", which is good, because hopefully the little one will be bright, and we do live close to the sea.

But wait, there's more.

According to this site, Morgan will grow up to
"...have great self-confidence and a charming personality which attracts many friends and admirers. Your innate sense of personal power and ability to lead are ideally suited to positions of authority. Being so versatile and seeing the big picture your ambitions are high and much is usually expected of you. With patience and tenacity you will certainly fulfill the great potential you have for success."

I have to admit a slight disappointment in not finding any magical references in the name though. I know of the name as that of the Arthurian sorceress, Morgan le Fay, but apparently she was invented much later than than original name.

But wait...there's still more...

I tried out that last link to find out what my own name says about me:
"Very much the individual you have enormous energy and vision and must find a suitable use for your talents. You have great potential for success in business if you can guard against indecision and worry. Your generous nature means that you are never short of friends and with cooperation your relationships can be very rewarding. Perseverance and firm decision making will ensure you achieve your objectives."

(I have to say that it is certainly absolutely correct about my "indecision and worry".)

12 comments:

glomgold said...

I've seen Morgan used for 2 guys & 1 girl. Though the girl's instance was in Arthurian legend rather than someone I actually knew, but Morgan Le Fay's a pretty cool lady.

Anonymous said...

Well, let's see, just for fun:

Famous Morgans in the world...

Morgan Freeman - actor
Morgan Fairchild - actress
Morgan Webb - some Canadian chick who promotes tech-play
Morgan Spurlock - Mr Super Size Me
Morgan Mason - son of actor James Mason, a.k.a. Mr Belinda Carlisle
Morgan Lewis - Governor of New York 1804-1807
Morgan Johansson, Minister for Public Health and Social Services, Government of Sweden

They also named a car a Morgan, and a type of horse.

And a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Morgan/Morgana/Morgaine, etc.

I think it's a great name.

Have you thought about giving baby a Chinese name too?

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Arggh! Sorry, forgot to paste the url link in for the Morgan/Morgana/Morgaine site:

http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/morgan.shtml

Violet said...

Geez Desiree, aren't you a font of miscellanea? And yes, it's likely there will be a Chinese name, but that's a job for the rellies in Hong Kong.

Glomgold: Morgan Le Fay in the BBC production, "Merlin", wasn't very nice or powerful; she was also a weak character I thought. But I'm sure that she would have been based on a somewhat more powerful and cooler woman.

Watson Woodworth said...

First name of my near(Michigan)nephew.
My far(California)nephews are Thomas and Michael.
My far niece is Jessica.
Morgan always makes me think of American robber-barron John Pierpont Morgan, but then that's a sirname.

Frally said...

I knew a girl called Morganna and always really liked the name. However, DH vetoed it when it came time to pick a name for our girl.

Anonymous said...

There is also a reall cool series of books about Wicca in which the main character's name is Morgan. They were written by Cate Tiernan.

gerbera said...

I first thought of Morgan Webb as Desiree mentioned (was on TechTV that they played on Saturn/Telstra/Clear now on G4TechTV which they dropped) I saw her in a cafe in New York last year cuddling up to a guy about 20 years older than her.

Violet said...

tindallk - that's quite interesting. Now that I have time to read for fun, I'll go look for some of those books.

gerbera - I'd much rather cuddle up to someone five years younger, than 20 years older. But each to her own, eh?

Anonymous said...

Oi! Nuffink wrong with 20 years older (humph!).

:-D

Violet said...

Of course there isn't, Desiree. It's all a matter of personal taste. Perhaps Gerbera is just jealous that the woman in question preferred the older guy to someone like himself :-)

Violet said...

You have a great site, Momo.