Friday, February 11, 2005

cruel tv stations

The Guardian is one of my favourite tv shows, but TVNZ have decided to shift it from it's usual 8.30pm timeslot to 11.30pm. That's even later than the timeslot for Firefly. And the show they are putting in it's place is the boring outback soap opera McLeod's Daughters, about a bunch of attractive young women in the outback and the men they love...(suppressing a snort and a yawn).

With Firefly, we got around the fact that programing our VCR doesn't always work by asking (very nicely, with bribes) to borrow the entire series on DVD from some friends. But there's not much chance that our mostly-SF/Fantasy-friendly friends will have The Guardian on DVD. I will have to be more forceful about getting the boy to remember to put the VCR recorder on, on Thursday nights.

I'm so pissed off I might even send TVNZ a letter to complain.

But on the other hand
...I did enjoy Lost, even though we completely missed the pilot episode. Although it did seem a bit like Survivor without the prize. And what's this about a plane leaving from Sydney being mostly full of Americans? And if it is mostly full of Americans, how come there's only one fat person in the whole show?

12 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

That's because the Beaurough of American Standards for Television And Radio Directory System forbids anyone who actually looks like an American and not a Calvin Klien model from apearing on television.
I look like Philip Seymore Hoffman but then, He's in movies, not TV.

Frally said...

I have to say LOST rocked my world and is now my must-watch show for the week.
I've never watched The Guardian. It always looked too depressing from the ads.

Jon said...

I haven't heard of either of those shows.....but I do know 'Neighbors'

Violet said...

Nigel: I believe you, and that would be why none of the teen shows ever has to deal with the "issue" of acne.

Frally & Jon: The Guardian is great. True, it's not all happy happy joy joy, but I love it anyway. And Jon, it isn't Australian (though the lead actor is).

Casyn said...

I'm hooked on Lost. Hope it can sustain the intensity. All of the Australians were killed in the crash has to be the explanation for only one being left alive. As for why all the Americans are CK model looking, I thought that's what all American's looked like... but I've never been there.

Mcleod's Daughters is an embarrassment of Australian TV. Every week there is a different accident or tragedy. Why don't they realise they're too stupid to actually run a farm. Add All Saints and Blue Heelers and you've got the three most popular and worst Aussie dramas. I have issues! :-)

Violet said...

Casyn: It must be a helluva shock for anyone who goes over there and thinks it'll be just like on tv

Amanda said...

I'll dispatch firefly tomorrow. I guess you have resolved your zoning issues...Can't help with the other I'm afraid

Onanymous said...

Ironically, Mcleod's Daughters is on at exactly the same time as Lost and Tru Calling here.
One guess which ones I am watching.

Oh, and you must try to borrow the first ep somewhere - it was really well done, especially the first few scenes.

Anonymous said...

Re: Aussie flights full of Americans.

When I travelled home to NZ from London via San Francisco many, many moons ago, we had to do this little detour to Sydney before landing in Auckland. Apparently SFO - SYD dropped off a load of Americans and Aussies, picked up another load there, then the SYD - AKL segment was used to drop off Kiwis and Aussies, and pick up more Americans. It was the "domestic" portion of the trip.

Go figure...

Re: Aussie television

Just wondering how many issues of Mcleod's Daughters Casyn actually has...(ha, ha!).

There's no accounting for taste, really - read this:

http://www.australiantelevision.net/mcleod/articles/aussiedramawows.html

Casyn said...

:-) Well put!

Great article. To laugh at. :-)

My favourite line is "It’s stylishly produced and believable". Ha!

Violet said...

What a load of codswallop that article is. No wonder The Guardian didn't stand a chance - it's not full of chicks and relationships.

Geekery said...

TVNZ have a bad habbit of changing timeslots of my favourite TV shows, so I gave up on TV.

Though I do visit my old friend TV from time to time - gave the first episode of LOST a go, quite liked it, but then saw online that it was running to at least 19 episodes and decided I couldn't commit to that many.... I'll have to wait for it to come out on DVD.