Saturday, February 19, 2005

A beginners guide to the occult

Ever since I took Classics 201: Greek Mythology, back in my early student days, I've been intrigued with the connection between myths and the psyche. I remember the lecturer relating the story of Oedipus Rex with Freud's Oedipus Complex, and my assignment on all the little folk tales which made up the Robin Hood legend.

One of the regular customers at the library where I used to work was highly interested in mythology too. She recommended a book called The Golden Bough, by Sir James George Frazer; it would be right up my alley. After months of checking in on the local second hand bookshops, I finally found it. First published in the late 1800's, the one I have is a single-volume 1961 reprint. It's relatively easy to read - obviously Frazer wasn't trying to out-academe the academics when he wrote it. I'm only into the first chapter, but already I'm learning just how prevalent voodoo-type magic was.

The boy seemed to be quite pleased that I'd bought the book - apparently back in the UK he made a point of frequenting the bookshops of Hay-on-Wye to add to his own extensive collection of books on the occult.

Perhaps I can be the Willow to his Giles/Spike? Nah.

5 comments:

Watson Woodworth said...

I've always felt in between Sysiphus and Charlie Brown.
"I have to roll that boulder up that hill, good grief!"

Frally said...

"Perhaps I can be the Willow to his Giles/Spike?"

Would this include becoming a lesbian? I don't know if he would appreciate that...

Violet said...

Nigel: that's funny! I'm sure one doesn't often get a chance to put Sysiphus and Charlie Brown in the same sentence!

Frally: I reckon Willow would be bi rather than strictly gay, since she did have a serious thing with Oz.

Otherwise, maybe a Fred/Wesley partnership, in a universe where Gunn was out of the picture?

Anonymous said...

Ah, but of course Psyche has her own mythology:

http://www.loggia.com/myth/psyche.html

Philosophically and psychologically the story is one of the soul searching for true love. Other than that, it's a nice story with a happy ending.

Does that fit in the Slayer universe (Buffy/Angel)?

8-)

Violet said...

Desiree: it seems to be all about sexual jealousy doesn't it? It reminds me of the beautiful girl vs evil stepmother dynamic. It doesn't fit in the Buffyverse at all though!