Friday, January 07, 2005

He's very sorry

I got a call from the police a couple of days ago, relating to the case of The Little Shit. They said I could choose to hear an apology for his nasty behaviour if I wanted, or else ask for an apology in writing. Having no wish to ever set eyes on the kid again, I chose the latter.

And this morning, it arrived. Enclosed in an envelope which also contained a cover letter from the police youth liason officer, was a short, handwritten letter from the little criminal. It's dated December 25th, which would be significant except for the fact that he and his family are probably Muslim and don't celebrate Christmas.

"Dear Lady", he writes, "I am writing to telly you that I am very sorry...". The next two sentences tell me he's sorry, and he's also written "p.s. I am very sorry".

I almost forgive him.

3 comments:

Jon said...

OMG!!!! He really is a little shit!! See, this is why adults should be able to hit kids who really deserve it. Though, if he hit you, it's quite possible he's being smacked around at home. A 'normal' 12 year old wouldn't do that unless something was wrong. But I don't want to make it seem like I'm on his side, I'm not.

Aren't fake apologies absolutely meaningless? And library cards are free-- he should have come with a parent or other falimy member and gotten one. Sheesh- what a little, well, shit!!

Violet said...

In his defense, Jon, he and his family are Somalian refugees (I THINK they're refugees...) and it's possible that he's experienced a bit of trauma.

Actually, I thought he might possibly have been genuinely sorry. But I'm a believing kinda gal.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'd missed that one. Poor you!!!! I'm so sorry that happened. For all the crap at my library, I've never been physically attacked. Gosh.

I have a feeling he means it, too. Not sure that means you should forgive him, but I'm glad he was at least made to make amends of some sort.

Tiny Librarian
http://tinylittlelibrarian.blog-city.com

PS I cry when I'm angry, too. :)