Saturday, January 01, 2005

As if it weren't bad enough being sick during the holidays...

During the night, I found that every movement I made caused a sharp pain somewhere on the left side of my back. It hurt when I tried to change sleeping positions, cough or even breathe deeply. It hurt when I got out of bed to go to the toilet, and it hurt when I got back into bed. Unfortunately, the boy was sleeping so well that he was immune to my pitiful cries of pain. I had to wait until early this morning, and actually tell him in words that something was wrong.

Actually, I was convinced that I was suffering from pleurisy - not because it's fairly uncommon ailment which I don't get to hear about often, but because I've had it before (on my birthday a few years back, to be specific).

The boy tried massaging the pain away, but it didn't seem to work; I had him convinced it was pleurisy too. So, amidst more cries of pain (getting in the car, trying to shut the passenger door, reaching for the seatbelt), we set off for the After Hours Medical Centre (it is a public holiday after all).

I don't know if he used any funny acronyms in his notes about me, but, in his very soothing bedside manner, the doctor diagnosed my problem as being a pulled muscle.

So the bad news is, I have to rely on Paracetamol for pain relief but nothing to quickly fix it, while every urge to cough brings an anticipation of tortuous pain; the good news is ...um...that at least I'm not going to die from it.

1 comment:

Watson Woodworth said...

Did you have lots of coughing before the back pain?
Happened to my sister and me. Felt like I cracked a rib.