Thursday, December 09, 2004

What's that word for it?

There's a word for it, but I can't remember what it is. It's when you get disciplined by your employer for blogging about your job, on the job. It hasn't happened to me yet, but we all got an email today about appropriate use of the Internet in work time.

Time on the Information Desk, when it's quiet, is the best time to check out blogs, TradeMe and anything else interesting on the 'Net. But our manager says that "they" can tell who's been surfing for non-work purposes and how much time we're spending doing it. That means I've got to somehow fit the recreational 'Net surfing into my lunch hour - time better spent eating lunch, reading or sitting in the sun. (Okay, I suppose I can just wait till I get home.)

Apparently "they" will audit staff members with high Internet usage, and one of my workmates has already been slapped on the wrist. I hope all those librarian blogs I read aren't mistaken for personal sites! (gasp!)

9 comments:

noizy said...

dooced!

Violet said...

Oh yeah. Of course you'd wouldn't you (snigger, snigger)?

Thanks Nat!

Jon said...

Just be careful, I'd hate to think you got in trouble or fired because you read my blog at work and not at home!!

Jon said...

Oh yeah, I think the word you were looking for is 'chastized'

Violet said...

Thanks for your concern, Jon. Fortunately I tend to only look at blogs which I can easily remember the URL of, when at work. The title of your blog is so easy to mash up in my memory so I wait till I get home and pick it off my Bookmarks.

Mark McLellan said...

What is the etymology here? Perhaps a phonetic spelling of Deuced. A reference to poker or some other card card and the power of twos? Another reason why I do not blog about work.

TROLL-MODE ON
I blame those Yanks who seem to have lost the ability to pronounce the letter U so that deuce becoumes dooce and dew becomes doo, as in The Dew Drop Inn.
TROLL-MODE OFF

Violet said...

That's a darn good question Mark. I spent a good ten minutes searching the Internet for the answer, and didn't find anything. What we need is one of those dictionaries of new-fangled words...

noizy said...

dooce - from the nickname of the original blogger-who-got-fired-for-blogging-about work.

full story @ http://www.dooce.com/archives/dooced/index.html

and quick definition...
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dooce

Matt said...

Sadly, Ms Biz got dooced herself. I hope to see her blogging again in the near future.