Monday, September 27, 2004

Taking work home - sort of

As a break from trying to think of faults in the way the teams work at the Library (for my assignment), I decided to make a list of all our DVDs. I've been burgled twice in my life: the first time was in the family home when I was a teenager; the next time was in the current house, just two weeks before I was due to go on holiday - but that's another story, one which involves an insurance assessor and a stereo I bought off my brother.

Anyway, I thought it would pay to have a list of our DVDs since they'd be amongst the things which most likely to get taken.

If the boy saw what I was doing, he'd tell me to stop being a librarian.
(But if I was being librarian-like about it, I'd be cataloguing them as well. It's hard enough work just listing all the titles.)

5 comments:

Casyn said...

That's not librarainly as much as smart thinking. I've a database of my dvd's too, and one of my books. Took me a few days to get through the books, and I don't even have have that many.

I admit that mine are more detailed than lists, basic details as well: number of disks, collectors editions, length, screen size etc. When I'd got through them all I was a little stunned at how many DVDs I actually own.

nichole said...

Very smart idea! I'm sorry to hear you got burgled twice, though. Yikes.

We were once, on New Year's, and shortly thereafter I made a household inventory too. And checked my credit record - good thing, because I had to clear up a nasty bit of fraud. Someone (shady fast food manager? college roommate? we'll never know) had used my info to buy $100 of stuff from a catalog and never paid the bill.

Now if I could only remember where I put the inventory...

Violet said...

And there are still all the CDs to do! I may have to institute a household rule whereby all newly-purchased DVDs, CDs and books have to come straight to me for 'processing' first...

Casyn said...

I like the idea of 'processing'. I try to remember, but I'm normally too excited with what I've bought to be able to sit down and do that. I get to it in a copule of days tho :-)

Violet said...

Yes it's a nice idea isn't it, Casyn - my plans for an orderly inventory is probably going to fall by the wayside due to the more urgent matter of playing with the new purchase (and general laziness)