Thursday, September 30, 2004

Chook Night

I'm about to go to a hens' night - I've only ever been to two I think, and both were really very sober events.

In my mind, your stereotypical hens' night would include:
1. a sign around the bride-to-be's neck, which reads 'Kiss me I'm getting married' (or similar)
2. fried eggs (i.e. a rude display of mammaries squashed against restaurant windows)
3. loudness, drunkenness and shrieking
4. pashing at least one strange (but grateful) man

But tonight's, I think, is going to include:
1. intelligent conversation (perhaps descending occasionally into talk about offspring and home renovations)
2. really good food
3. small amounts of wine

It might be because the women are all in their mid-thirties or older, well brought-up Cantonese girls, and expecting to turn up to work on time in the morning.

Actually, I don't mind.


2 comments:

Tara said...

That sounds like an ideal evening to me too.

What's'pashing'?

Violet said...

Sorry Tara, I should probably post up some sort of Kiwi-speak glossary shouldn't I? Although, strictly speaking, 'pash' is an English term I think.

Pashing = kissing = snogging

And it was a good evening, by the way - apart from the room full of hoons next door. (Hoons are actually sorta like petrol-heads, but in this context I use it to mean drunken louts with no manners).