Monday, August 09, 2004

She's boredom incarnate...

No doubt in every class there is at least one person who will go on and on about something which isn't really relevant to the subject under discussion; when this person talks, intelligent people roll their eyes and gird their loins in preparation for lengthy and boring noise pollution.

The great thing about doing my class via distance is that nobody seems to like talking via the Internet conferencing facility. The lecturer talks; she has to. But most people will ask questions, or respond to hers, by typing in text instead. This means I have been spared utterly boring and wordy monologues of a particular distance student who shall remain nameless ('cos I'm nice, and I don't know how violent she is).

She prowls the MLIS discussion board, however. Every post she has written has been really verbose, to the point where my eyes glaze over after the first three or four words. I did try to understand what she was on about - the first time anyway. It's very impressive; the people I spoke to about it thought she must really know what it's all about. I reckon it's a fine example of communication at it's most perverse.

2 comments:

nichole said...

Oh yes. Every class has at least one. It never occured to me that distance ed would quash some of the verbiage, though - that's a good tactic!

At my library school, each of the 70-some graduates was invited to speak at the commencement ceremony, which made for a three-hour yawnfest. Our Chatty Cathy gave two speeches, the normal one and another as an award winner. She kicked off her award acceptance by mangling that Sally Field Oscar quote, "You like me, you really like me!" Later a friend confided it was all he could do to refrain from standing up at that point and heckling, "You're not funny!"

But that's not very nice.

Violet said...

I suspect that it would be really good for one's credibility if one is not always nice...