Tuesday, July 06, 2004

wot holiday?

It's only Tuesday, and it already feels as though I never went away. People come back from holidays and tell me they feel rested. I didn't. I was antsy on the day I got back, and I haven't been sleeping very well since. Rested, I am not.

What I didn't realise was that one of my team-mates has taken off on her own holidays, meaning that we are once again short-staffed. It means that this week I'll be driving the library bus four days out of five - this is a nuisance if I want to go to work in a skirt. It's also the school holidays, so the place is buzzing with children and their parents; I don't remember the last time I signed up so many new library members in the space of an hour.

The good news is that I got a pay rise. I hadn't been expecting anything much, because the staff had all been warned that normally the only pay increases we would get would be cost-of-living increase i.e. one-point-something percent. But I, and no doubt several co-workers too, have had a pay rise of about eleven percent. In actual fact, its still peanuts - but it's quite a few more peanuts than before; almost as many peanuts as library assistants in big cities get paid.

No comments: