Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Trying to get interested in the Olympics

I'd set aside some display space for the Olympics, for next month; I'd assumed that the clever clog who thought it would be a great idea to have an Olympics display, would actually take on the responsibility of getting all that ready. 
 
I'm probably the person least interested sports events in the whole country; this used to surprise people, because us local-born Chinese were once known to go really overboard on the rugby-racing-beer-sports-mad thing just to be accepted as Kiwis.  Not only do I disapprove of gambling (therefore disapproving of racing too), have always preferred spirits to beer and am bored by rugby of all codes, but I can count on the fingers of one hand the sporting moments which have excited me:
 
1. the infamous underarm bowling incident.  If you're from a non-cricket-playing country, you can skip this and go right to number 2.  If you're  Australian or a Kiwi, you either remember it vividly or heard about it from your parents.
 
2. John Walker winning the 1500m at the Olympics back in.......it was a long time ago.
 
3. The first time a non-US yacht won the Americas Cup.  We weren't excited about the boat race as such, but we were excited about a non-American winning something off the Americans.
 
4. That time when I was playing an indoor Ultimate match; against all odds, my short self leaped and managed to grab the frisbee from aloft and away from the hands of my taller competitors, to land in the goal zone.
 
5. During the last Olympics, the NZ women's hockey team did bloody well, surprising everbody when they beat a whole bunch of other teams (only to fail towards the semis).
 
And that's five.
 
Anyway, back to this display at the library.  I thought I'd have three weeks to identify and chase up the person who'd find exciting and interesting books and pictures for the display.  However, all the schools in the area have given their pupils assignments on the Olympics already.  So I was asked very nicely to cobble together what I could, enough for a display starting today.  I, the most un-Olympically interested person in the country, had to find books'n'pictures about the Olympics.   I moaned and tried to fob it off to the only male library assistant; he did, after all, willingly do a display on the Wimbledon tennis.  But he pointed to a spreadsheet and tried to look busy.  In the end, I accepted this was going to be one of those things I have to do because someone has to do it.  And funnily enough, I started enjoying myself anyway...
 
 
 
 

No comments: