Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Today's goings on

The Mailbox saga Tonight I discovered that I can get into my mailbox, using a fish-slice and with the help of my handy Civil Defense torch. The boy had a go at getting the key in the lock, but he, too failed. We can't actually take it off the fence to show the people at the shop though - it's bolted on and the bolts are inside the mailbox...which we can't open because it's locked...

So it's definitely a stern call to Placemakers tomorrow.

Left Luggage A homeless guy asked to leave his stuff behind the Information Desk this morning. Usually we don't mind if customers do this as long as they realise that we don't accept responsibility if it gets nicked. The homeless guy wasn't actually using the libary though, except as a no-cost left luggage office. He'd been traipsing in and out of the building all day, delving into his backpack or the pockets of his two jackets.

He'll be annoyed when he comes back for his gear tonight, to find the library closed.

(We took his stuff to the police station across the road.)

Learning management stuff Tomorrow is my first Management of Information Services class. Because the on-campus class is scheduled for around midday, I've enrolled as a distance student. Instead of going to the university for 1pm, I run off the library bus clutching the laptop and cable at 4.45pm and hurriedly set it all up in the library workroom, just in time for a 5pm audio-conference session.

I wonder if it means anything that my first class of this trimester coincides with my one year anniversary at the library. (After tomorrow, I can say I've got a year's worth of library experience without feeling like I'm stretching the truth.)

I wonder if it means anything that the very last class of the trimester coincides with my birthday. Probably not, but I suppose I'll have two things to celebrate that weekend...

No comments: