Sunday, July 04, 2004

nervous energy and holiday lists

We arrived home a couple of hours ago, and I’m still all antsy. This happens to me every time I come back from holiday, but today it’s really bad. I’ve laundered, opened my mail (and seen the grade on my second assignment - a B minus, but it was the first report I'd ever written), unpacked and read most of my e-mail. But I’m still all un-relaxed and in need of, say, an hour’s walk up a steep hill, before I can feel calm.

With this much nervous energy, by rights I should be thin.

Then I found that I couldn't get into Blogger, so that avenue for release was out. And a moment later, I found that the computer had been re-infected, possibly by Bloodhound again. So that gave me something else to gnash my teeth about.

Holiday Lists
Most impressive accommodation: The Scarborough Lodge in Hanmer. Located just up the road from the famous hot springs, it’s one of only two which have been built on the front lawn of the home of a nice Dutch lady. Nice décor, plenty of air-conditioning/heating, nice bathroom, nice semi-private outdoor area.

Just as impressive was the Chateau Blanc Suites in Christchurch. For our money we got free Internet (one a single PC, shared by all the guests), a suite of well-decorated rooms, free transport daily to the supermarket, friendly service and a bottomless fruit bowl. Have I mentioned free Internet?

Best Highlights:
*The commentary on the TranzAlpine train ride. It was witty, full of personality, and even informative.
*The coach ride from Greymouth to Nelson. Great views.
*The ice room at the Antarctic Centre. The temperature was wound down to minus 15 Celcius, we were supplied with thick jackets and rubber booties, and the snow was real. There were even a wind-chill machine and scheduled storms.
*The weather in Christchurch. I couldn't believe how warm and sunny it was, considering it was mid-Winter.
*Watching the whales at Kaikoura.

Things I wish we'd done:
*Gone out for a seafood dinner at Kaikoura. This place is known for its crayfish and other yummy goodies.
*We weren't organised enough to, but we should've booked ourselves a caving trip while in Greymouth.

Things which probably no-one else while find interesting:
*I managed to find the local library at every pit-stop.
*The boy found his max-egg limit.
*I am probably too old to stay at backpacker places. The comfort levels of each hotel we stayed at was of surprising importance to me.
*I can't totally relax during a holiday if I'm spending time on the Internet reading library discussion lists and checking out the library vacancies.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Arriving home "antsy": I think I know what you mean. When I go away for the weekend the drive home can be tedious but even so, getting home inevitably makes me want to go out again even if it's just to a friend's. The wanderlust...

Pickwick said...

It's 13 years since I've been to NZ, but can I say, I've enjoyed your holiday! Even got out my photos to have a look for the first time in a long time! Ta!

Violet said...

I flattered that you've enjoyed my holiday so much - when the digital photos go on-line I'll let you know