Monday, July 12, 2004

Just when I thought it was going to be an uneventful day at work...

On Mondays, I alternate having a later start/evening with a normal start and an afternoon at the branch library. Today is the day I do the latter, so I was cheerful in anticipation of an early-ish finish to the day.

I heated up my lunch in the microwave, got the transit books ready, put everything in my car and checked the mobile phone for messages. There was a message, but, to my annoyance, the phone had already used up all of it's prepaid credit. So I'd have to wait until I got to the branch, and use the phone there.

While I ate my lunch outside the library, I was still wondering how I could use ten dollars' worth of phone credit in one week. I was still thinking about it when I realised that I'd locked my car keys in the car. My wallet, the key to the branch library, all the transit books - these were now all out of reach, locked away in the car.

Lucky for me, I had a mobile phone. Even luckier, I could contact the AA via an 0800 number (i.e. a free one). Luckier still, I was able to find the number because a library patron had arrived half an hour before opening time and could lend me her AA membership card with the phone number on it.

In the end, the libary was opened 10 minutes late. It could have been so much worse...

No comments: