Tuesday, July 27, 2004

good grief

Yesterday my boy's nannadied in the UK, and he was a bit cut-up about it.  He thought he'd be used to people dying on him, because he's lost one or friends in the not-too-distant past.  But I don't think anyone gets used to the idea of death when it affects people they care about.   He told me it made his think that his parents would be next, though they aren't actually very old.  But I don't like to think of loved ones dying either.  The thought of my fairly fragile mother trying to cross a busy street, squinting to see whether it's safe to cross, makes me anxious and fearful.   Back when my sister-in-law's great aunt died, I felt bad that, when we'd visited her in hospital, I found it extremely difficult to find something to say to her.

Is it possible to be comfortable with death (not your own)?






2 comments:

Pickwick said...

I think so, but only via a traumatic path. Several years ago, at my 3rd funeral in as many months - all premature deaths, the last a double - I was fascinated by a toddler in front of me. She was learning that she couldn't see both of her dad's ears when she was held in front of him, but that each stayed there on his head when she was looking at the other. Back and forth. It was beautiful. I was struck that life is cyclic. Two friends were dead due to a drunk motorist and this girl had a life of wonder, all in front of her.

I've learnt to look for the young kids ever since...

Violet said...

yeah, I think you're right.