Wednesday, July 21, 2004

doing distance

Today was when I got my chance to try out Chatterbox, and audio-conferencing in general, for my MLIS class.  In the process of setting up the equipment, I discovered that the cheap headset I'd bought especially, didn't work. 
 
The class only took one hour and fifteen minutes, which isn't very long considering the on-campus class for the same paper is two hours.  It was probably long enough for me though, because the headset which did work didn't fit my head at all and I had to hold it to my right ear for the entire time.  It made typing very slow, and discrete snacking awkward.
 
It'll take a few sessions before my workmates remember  to leave all the lights on when they go home at 5.30 pm on Wednesdays, and perhaps a little longer to remember not to shriek expletives and rude stories to each other after 5pm.  And maybe next time my boss will refrain from pushing an empty steel trolley in and out of the lino-covered room during that time.  As for me - after I've been out to the garage to put stuff back, I'll know not to panic when the card swipe outside the library building doesn't seem to want to let me back in (because I found out it does work after hours).

No comments: