Sunday, July 25, 2004

comic book movies

We were in a comic book shop yesterday, and while I waited for the boy to finish browsing and selecting his purchases I noticed that most of the major comic book characters have by now  made it to either television, or the big screen - Howard the Duck, Tank Girl, Superman, Wonderwoman (who is probably due for a big screen update, one without all the dogmatism and patriotism), Batman, X-Men, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hell Boy, Ghost World...

In fact, I had a really hard time trying to find a comic book which wasn't a manga, and which hadn't been translated onto film or tv.

So which one is going to be next?

2 comments:

Ginger Doll said...

The Sandman?! Who would dare to touch something so perfect?!

Mind, they've killed Hellblazer by casting Keanu Reeves as Constantine, so I wouldn't put it past 'them'

Sorry, was just browsing blogger and saw your post!

Violet said...

hi Janey, welcome to my blog. At Short and Sweet Like Me, you can visit and coment to your heart's content, without any need whatsoever to apologise...

I've read one of the Sandman graphic novels (it was really cool and strange), and it's the only one I've read and enjoyed since I was a pre-teen and hooked on Superman and Disney comics. Sandman is way too dark and complex for Hollywood, who I think prefer to choose relatively two-dimensional characters and try to add Hollywood-style complexity to them.