Thursday, July 29, 2004

books and what people say about them

I've been collecting a list of book recommendations from the library staff, with the intention of doing a little display during NZ Library Week.   My idea was to get them to tell me the name and author of a book they recommend (it has to be available at this library), plus one or two sentences explaining why.

It's interesting what people choose to recommend, and how they express themselves about it.  For instance, I'd prefer if their choices are not books which are already popular - why bother pushing a book which is already being read by all?  Some of the staff have chosen well-worn chestnuts like Bridget Jones' diary, for example.  It's actually inconvenient, because it means I can't get hold of the book (it'll be on loan) to scan the cover in for the wall display, and to display the actual book.

Also, some people have sent me literally one or two sentences; some have very little to say (e.g. 'It's just good'); others have sent me one or two sophisticatedly worded paragraphs which look like the blurb you see on the inside cover of some high-brow 'classic'.

One of my co-workers has been very enthusiastic, suggesting obscure titles by Albert Camus, Paul Auster and a Swedish bestseller ("It's very funny, especially if you're Swedish!"). 

 


No comments: