Saturday, July 03, 2004

The Abel Tassie

Yesterday we went to the Abel Tasman National Park, to do a four-hour portion of the track. It's a good way to see some of the park without committing yourself to serious tramping work. As it was, after four hours I was really quite ready to get back on the coach to Nelson city. First we took a coach to Kaiteriteri, then a boat to Torrent Bay. We walked from there to Marahou, where we caught the coach back to the city.

I'd briefly agonised over whether to take my seasickness capsules before the boat ride, knowing that last time I took them I was bitterly unwell for an hour. But I did take them, after eating some toast, and it was okay.

There were some really cool views over golden sand beaches - just like you'd expect a sub-tropical island to look like.

The last half hour was the hardest though, because 1) we were so very close to the end of the walk but not quite, and 2) because my mobile phone went off and I didn't get to the phone in time to answer the call, then found out I didn't have enough phone credit to check the recorded message. Wondering who'd called is really effective in making me anxious!

It turned out that we finished the walk an hour early; if I'd known I would have pushed for some detours. Oh well.

Today is the last day of my holiday; tomorrow morning we fly back home and I'll spend some of that time doing laundry and airing the house out.

Funnily enough, we haven't managed to have dinner out in the entire time, but we've eaten breakfast/brunch out most days.

No comments: