Saturday, May 15, 2004

You say poe-tay-toe, I say poe-tar-toe...

We went shopping today, and it's reminded me of the wild difference in our views on money:

Me - take sandwiches to work, eat leftovers, don't pay for parking if at all possible, try to save $20 per pay
He - takes sandwiches to work but only if I made them for him, deliberately avoids collecting loyalty card points, pays for parking because its easier, doesn't have a savings account

My idea of a big buy - a book (because I should wait for it to be available at the library), clothes unless they are on sale or bought from an el cheapo shop.
His idea of a big buy - I hate to think. This guy bought the Buffy the Vampire Slayer board game, on a whim, for over 100 bucks. Just because.

They say that financial disagreements are a major cause of relationship breakup. I reckon we're simply complementary.

The book I bought today was Raybon Kan's, 'An Asian at my table'. If you haven't lived in NZ, you won't know who Raybon is. This strangely named fellow is the Chinese New Zealander's answer to...um... Woody Allen. I mean, he's a comedian. (As far as I know, Raybon has no adopted kids, let alone a wife who used to be one.) He's the only Chinese comedian I know of, and I like him best when he talks about the Chinese experience. Also, he just has great titles for his stand-up shows (for example, the book title which is a piss-take of the world-famous-in-New-Zealand autobiography by Janet Frame, An Angel at my table).

My boy happily spent over an hour unpacking the Slayer game (he hopes that my being a Buffy fan will cause me to overcome my natural aversion to games), and didn't even try to rope me in for a warm-up game.

No comments: