Monday, May 03, 2004

The two-year itch

As I wrote in one of my previous posts, I seem to get terribly interested in something for about two years, then go right off it. This has happened with my interests in yoga, karate, music, painting (well, it was getting that way before I became too busy anyway) etc. I fear that it may be happening with my career obsession too. I have only been in the business for less than a year, but I was quite interested in it for about a year before that - so that counts as a two-year thing.

I'm getting a bit sick of always being tired, doing the mindless tasks like photocopying, spending ages in traffic, having very little dosh to spend...

I'm starting to long for those (relatively) halcyon days when I was a 'suit', and was free to lunch with my friends, buy nice clothes, plan holidays, watch tv in the evenings and say bad things about technocretins.

I saw an ad in the paper in the weekend, for an information analyst. It sounded to me like a compromise between the seriousness of library work and the relatively easy hours of a government job. The pay would be better, even at the lowest grade. It's in town, so I'd be a short bus ride from home - thus saving at least half an hour of travel time per day. But it'd still be about finding information for people, helping them, perhaps even interepreting information for them. Perhaps the whole library thing isn't worth it for me, when I can get something similar without tears (not that it makes me cry).

No comments: