Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Relief all 'round and rewarding reads

I got home last night and fetched my marked assignment from the mail box, opened it and....I got an 'A'! It was really hard trying to guess how well it'd gone, since this is the first post-grad thing I've ever done. Phew! Nice to know I'm up there with the smart dudes.

I've just started reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, on my boy's recommendation. I haven't had much luck with his recommendations - I was bored with Clive Barker's Neverwhere, and thought H.P. Lovecraft was a little hard going style-wise. But because I so thoroughly enjoyed the Garth Nix books, then Gaiman gets a go. Even though I didn't get into Gaiman's Stardust. So far, its quite intriguing; freshly-released ex-con Shadow finds on his first day out that his wife has died and that the friend who's promised him a job has also died. Then he's told that they died together. All this information is being conveyed to him by a mysterious Mr Wednesday (how bizarre - I just finished reading a book called Mr Monday) who seems to know where Shadow's going to be before Shadow would possibly know himself. I think this might be a goodie.

No comments: