Monday, May 10, 2004

The Locals

'The Locals' is a NZ-made movie which I've been wanting to see ever since it's cinema release. Finally, I got the DVD from the video shop. We were pretty impressed with this thriller, since it was neither embarrassingly parochial nor try-hard Hollywood-style. It was slick, clever and had a plot twist which even my boy didn't figure out until the end. It's about two city lads who've taken off to the country for the weekend, get lost, get their car stuck, witness a murder and become fugitives chased by the murderer and his posse.

We followed this up with Charlie Kaufman's 'Human Nature', which was really weird in a silly and endearing sort of way. I didn't recognise Miranda Otto as the pseudo-French lab assistant until I saw her name in the credits! Quite a nice play on the whole noble-savage/Pygmalion/back-to-Nature theme, with some connections to Being John Malkovich's Cameron Diaz character.

No comments: