Thursday, May 20, 2004

Holidays

I managed to get two weeks holiday for mid-June until early July, which falls right in the middle of the study break between trimesters one and two. It's also one week after one of my work mates gets back from her enviably long world trip (six weeks, but it feels longer - to me anyway). That way there'll still be 3 bus-driving library people, and my boss won't have any worries about who'll do my bus run while I'm away.

So now we just have to work out how to spend this precious non-work time. I thought it would be a good opportunity to show my boy the South Island. He thinks it would be a great time to go to New York to see his daughter from his previous relationship. I have no problems with him seeing his daughter, especially in New York; I've always wanted to visit there and see all the museums and art galleries. However, since there's still more or less a war on between the US and Iraq (and possibly other anti-US groups), I'm not sure it's a good idea to be in the States - especially on a plane. Perhaps the air fares will be a little lower, if everyone has the same worry. Perhaps any discounting will be offset by increases in travel insurance and security-related surcharges.

Do you think we should take the chance and go to New York? Or stay in New Zealand?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay in NZ. There is no way I'd be setting foot in the USA. Snowboarding season will have kicked off in the South Island by then.

Violet said...

I've never snowboarded, but my first and only skiing weekend left an impression on a stranger (bruises, that is - I skiied straight into him on the intermediate slope).