Wednesday, May 26, 2004

a creative burst

With so much time being spent driving the library bus, I haven't had much chance to do anything creative or interesting. This morning I did get to spend a couple of hours doing something fun. I was getting stuff for a display on the Maori New Year, which is called Matariki. It's at the first new moon after the first sighting of The Pleiades, which is 18th of June this year. I went to the observatory on the way to work, and chatted to a really nice young guy about his posters, then went to work and looked Matariki up on the Internet for more ideas and information. Display work and reference work are definitely the highlights of my job. If they were all I had to do I think I'd be almost totally happy with my job (except for the long commute and the low pay).

Last night my boy and I had a long discussion about my ever-changing attitude to my career choice. He played devils advocate to my defense over why I don't have to be a library assistant in a public library to in order to become an information professional. I said there are lots of careers which are information-related. He said well, everything is information-related, so it's a meaningless description of a career. He was probably right.

No comments: