Sunday, April 11, 2004

Just a pawn of The Fates

Finally, after lunch in town and a browse through the shops, my boy decided yesterday that we would go away for the weekend.

I'd been in a dilemma over whether to make the most of the last long weekend before Queen's Birthday, or catch up with my old mate Claudio whom I haven't seen for ten years. Maybe it's the Libran in me, but I couldn't decide - so the boy decided for me. For an hour or so after we hastily packed, got petrol and left the city, I tried vainly to enjoy myself. What's the point, after all, of choosing between two options and then agonising over the one I didn't go for? He must have sensed the tension, because I sat up in my seat rather than going all relaxed and collapse-y while he drove.

Then, at Raumati, we hit a nasty public holiday weekend-style traffic jam - and that was it. He decided he wouldn't bother, and we turned around and came home again. I still can't be sure if it was the traffic that did it, or whether he was sufficiently tuned in to me to notice I'd really wanted to stay in town.

So we met Claudio and Hannah for dinner. We went to Chow, possibly the coolest eating establishment in town. Not cheap, but not expensive. Cool and trendy, but friendly and not at all snotty. Exciting cocktail menus and tasty Asian-fusion food in a grown-yum char kind of way. I got to hear about how Claudio and Hannah met (he was teaching a wine appreciation course and she was taking the class) and caught up on mutual friends and aquaintances. We were charmed by each other's mates.

Afterwards, I knew that it was a damn fine thing that the traffic at Raumati was so horrible.

Amazingly, the weather's been really nice since Friday afternoon. Which makes it a little frustrating that my neck went out overnight and now I feel like that girl in 'Sixteen Candles' who spent the whole movie with her neck in a brace (but older and shorter).

No comments: